Friday, April 19, 2013

Is Kickstarter Staffed by Gringotts?

I proposed a Kickstarter project to fund expenses in creating and marketing the Poems With Heart anthology. It was declined. I appealed it. Yet, it was declined again with the only explanation being a form rejection e-mail that it did not meet their project guidelines (http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines) and the project can no longer be submitted to Kickstarter.

After reading through their guidelines yet again, I have come to the conclusion that either a) the people they employ do not understand their guidelines due to inadequate training, b) the individual who read both my project and appeal does not have a grasp of the English language, or c) they are staffed by Gringotts which guard their fundraising platform by the motto that it "is the safest place in the world for anything yeh want ter keep safe.”

“Enter, stranger, but take heed
Of what awaits the sin of greed,
For those who take, but do not earn,
Must pay most dearly in their turn.
So if you seek beneath our floors
A treasure that was never yours,
Thief, you have been warned, beware
Of finding more than treasure there.”

Apparently, even though the project is to fund an actual product (the poetry anthology) and the fundraising money is going to production and marketing, it is not viewed that way by the person who rejected my project.

The fundraising is to create the book. The proceeds of the book go to charity. Basically, they connected Kicstarter fundraising (point A) to the American Heart Association and Alzheimer's Association (point C) instead of to the Poems With Heart anthology (point B).

So I urge anyone who wishes to contribute to the production process to visit our merchandise page. Sadly, only the 40% markup from retail goes to fundraising but the goodies produced that you are receiving do need to be paid for somehow.

I think perhaps my favorite Kickstarter guideline is this: “Projects cannot offer alcohol as a reward.” However, I can’t think of a better reward and would not have even thought of it unless they prohibited it in their guidelines but I see someone was more creative than I, otherwise there would be no need to state the obvious. Although, considering one glass of red wine a day is supposedly good for your heart I think it would be a very fitting reward. It kind of makes me want to scratch my head with the other hand that's not holding a wine glass and ask, "Gee, why didn't I think of that?" I am joking of course.

The only other guideline I may possibly be compromising is: “Projects cannot offer financial, medical, or health advice.” Except that any and all health related articles listed on this blog are linked to external AHA approved videos or listed clearly as informative but also with a dose of comedy thus making it an easier pill to swallow. I am not a doctor. I repeat. I am not a doctor. If you read this blog you should consult with a healthcare professional regarding the authenticity of the random article you have read. Buh-duh! See the official disclaimer at the bottom of this page for more information.

If you have any questions regarding this blog post don’t ask me, ask Kickstarter.

But if the things we touched really did multiply, wouldn't projects like this be so much more than the fantastic storyworld building of J.K. Rowling? Well at least if  what we touched multiplied it would certainly be easier to fund.


I should acknowledge this by stating J.K. Rowling had absolutely nothing to do with this blog post. I repeat. She had nothing to do with this blog post.

I do not tell a lie:


Rest assured the response to this project and support has been overwhelming. This anthology will be published regardless of Kickstarter acceptance. Honestly, I would suggest Indiegogo over Kickstarter any day. For one, they like good causes. Two, their website is more user friendly. Three, you don't have to wait for a random person to review your project and determine its acceptance based on personal views on how it applies to their guidelines. Plus if you're doing it for charity you can offer the benefit of donating with tax exemption if you're registered as a non-profit with the IRS.

Which I did but apparently Indiegogo did not recognize the Poems With Heart EIN. Thus they directed me to contact First Giving who handles the non-profit donations for them to manually add me to their database. However, sometimes it takes a little while for the Indiegogo system to process the update. At least that's what First Giving told me on the phone. So expect to see an Indiegogo campaign soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment